There are a lot of lessons that content marketers can learn from the Anthony Weiner episode.
Here are my top 10 Content Marketing Lessons:
1. Twitter is a powerful content delivery channel.
2. The wrong audience will not find your messaging as attractive as the right audience.
3. When it comes to content, a picture is worth a thousand words.
4. If you offer up content people are interested in, you will eventually be discovered.
5. When they first discover you, people will spend time researching you. Make sure that you have the right body of work for them to discover (pun intended).
6. Once you get discovered, you can amplify your media mentions with a news conference.
7. Once you become a story, your target market influencers will join in the conversation.
8. Make sure that you have a lot of target market influencers who know you well and are truly supportive. If you don’t, your so-called supporters might turn into detractors when you need them most.
9. Make sure that your content aligns with your brand promise and your brand delivery. If it doesn’t, it could lead to big trouble.
10. If your target market discovers that you are doing something that it finds distasteful, it will not be happy and could destroy you.
What lessons did I miss?
You can learn more about content marketing management as well as how we execute our content marketing strategy on the Openview Labs Website.